SDS has been implementing a Project titled “Women Empowerment through Micro Credit Program” that has been designed to empower the women through micro credit support. PKSF is the funding agency of the Project. It is being implemented in Sixteen different programs. A total of 120 unions of 20 Upazilas in Shariatpur, Madaripur, Faridpur, Gopalganj, Rajbari, Munshiganj and Dhaka district have been selected as the area of operation under the project. The women empowerment through Micro Credit Project is being implemented effectively and efficiently with active participation of the target beneficiaries.
The target group of this project is the disadvantaged and distressed women, widow, abandoned women, female headed households, hard core poor, small and marginal farmers of the SDS working area SDS, since its inception, has been working towards improving the livelihood of the people living under poverty line. Objective of this program is to improve socio-economic status of the people of such segment. SDS started the program from Char Areas of Shariatpur district. In course of time, it has now been implementing in 120 unions of 20 Upazilas in Shariatpur, Madaripur, Faridpur, Gopalganj, Rajbari, Munshiganj and Dhaka district. PKSF, the micro finance support authority in Bangladesh is providing financial support at a low interest rate since 1993.
A magnitude of the target Population lives below poverty level. Micro-credit support inspires them to improve their status of living and helps them getting self-reliant. This support emancipates them from getting loan at high interest rate from the local moneylenders doing credit business. SDS’ Micro-credit Program aims at assisting the disadvantaged people in income generation activities. Interest at the rate of 12.5 or 13% on flat rate basis is charged on the disbursed credit amount.
The women empowerment through Micro Credit Project is being implemented effectively and efficiently with active participation of the target beneficiaries. SDS organizes its members in groups and offers service package including training on IGA and awareness rising.
Under this program SDS is implementing fourteen sub programs. These are:
01. Rural Micro Credit Program (RMC)
02. Micro Finance & Technical Spurts Projects (MFTS)
03. Micro Enterprise Program (ME)
04. Ultra Poor Program (UP)
05. Disaster Management Loan Program
06. Special assistance for housing of SIDR affected borrowers (SAHOS)
07. Rehabilitation of SIDR affected Coastal Fishery, Small Business & Livestock Enterprise (RESCUE)
08. Livelihood Restoration Project (LRP)
11. Enhancing Resources and Increasing Capacities of the Poor Households Towards Elimination of their Poverty (ENRICH)
12. Emergency 2007 Flood Restoration and Recovery Assistance Program (EFRRAP)
13. Learning and Innovation Fund to Test New Ideas (LIFT)
14. Kuwait Goodwill Fund (KGF)