Strengthening NSAs to claim rights and services for extreme marginalized and socially excluded communities of Bangladesh (NSA).
Project Background: The project “Strengthening Non State Actors to claim right sand services for extreme marginalized and socially excluded communities of Bangladesh “funded by European Union & supported by OXFAM –GB is being implemented by SDS . Socially excluded & marginalized communities are selected as primary target participants. This Action is focused on making local government institutions effective. This action will also strengthen civil society & community based organization to facilitate marginalized & excluded groups to have better access to government & private sector services ,employment &food security initiatives through building their capacity & facilitating collective efforts to emerge as social pressure groups. Simultaneously & decisions makers will be more responsive on good practice of service delivery, monitoring of local governance &administration & economic approach developed within this programme ,
The planned activities aimed to strengthen the unity and voice of excluded & marginalized poor communities with increased demand for & access to local resource& service that should be delivered by the service providers . Also, strengthened civil society & community –based organization s eill link up with project participants & facilitate access to essential services & resource.
As well as , to promote advocacy ,awareness is raising & capacity building activities for CBOS,CSO & local authorities in areas of concern for the rights of the poor &marginalized people ,such as ,land rights, decent work& labour rights,etc.Finnaly this project seeks to strengthen the decision making power all of actors in local development process through adopting a joint partnership apporch with particular attention to the rights of women & socially excluded communities .
03. Project Goal: To facilitate a comprehensive community development approach, which creates social and economic opportunities for the targeted population to identify and bring about changes in their socio-economic status.
04. Project Objectives: To strengthen civil society and community-based organizations to enable the most vulnerable, marginalized and excluded (economically, socially & geographically) women and men to have sustainable access to essential services and economic opportunities.
05. Donor Name: Funded by:European Union & Supported by OXFAM-GB
06. Project Duration: From September,2010 to 30August,2013
07. Project Working Area: District: Shariyatpur, Upazila: shariatpur Sadar, Damudda , Bhedhorgong & Janjira , Union: Domsar, tulasar, Binodpur, Mahamudpur, Chandrapur, Chitolia, Purbo Damudya, Siddya,Islampur ,Koneekshwar,Darul-Aman,Dhanokati ,Ramvodropur, Choygaon,Mohisar,DMkhali, Naryonpur Chorvaga , Senerchor,Palerchor, Mulna,Joynogor,Borokandi.Gopalpur .
08. Project Target Group: Excluded and marginalized communities of rural urban setting, Small & marginalized farmers ,women headed households, People with disability, small community based organization.
09. Project Human Resource: Total 8 staffs(Project Manager-1, Technical Officer-1, Program organizer-1, Accountant -1,Field Organizer-4.
10. Project Activity:
Sl no Planned Activities
1 Monthly coordination meeting
2 Organize socio-economic mapping
3 Select NSA
4 Project participants selection
5 Organize consultation meeting at UP level for UDC ormation
6 Oreation of UDC
7 Mobilize monthly UDC coordination meeting
8 Organize inception workshop with LEBs & Service roviders
9 Organize training for UDC & NSA development
10 Prepared Micro Level Action Plan
11 Collect and review the vulnerable peoples list
12 Service & Service providers inventory list prepared at UDC level
13 Orientation for NSA & UDC on service mobilization
14 Meeting on UP Budget tracking
15 Organize meeting with different organizations
16 Implementing campaign on labor rights issue
17 Dialogues with UP & NGOs on food security schemes
18 Dialogues with Upazilas on food security schemes
19 Organize seminar on PVCA & KAP study findings
20 Organise dialogues with the private sector
21 Meeting at upazila & district level on labor force database
22 Organise special orientation and campaign
23 Bi-annual coordination meeting with Service Providers
24 Organize public hearing in UP level
25 Organize public hearing in Upazila level
26 Promote the idea of domestic food storage process
27 Organise seminar/press conference with Media-District level
28 Leb Training
29 Round table meeting
12. Project Budget: 1,1229731/-
13. Expected Result: Accesses to Govt safety net & others Organization & programme are numbered below:
• 7 UDC members have got 7sets of toilets.
• 600 vulnerable people have participated in the 40 days works programs,
• The community clinics have become dynamic and the personnel regularly sit in the clinics, provides treatments to the patients and the people are getting proper health services from them and they are getting free livestock treatment and medicines.
• 200 women UDC members have got training on sanitation development & gender. Now they are much capable and they are communicating with the different government offices and they discussed about their problems and take services from those offices. We need not to help them.
• 32 UDC members have got training on agriculture issues. Now they are much capable and they are communicating with the different government offices and they discussed about their problems and take services from those offices.
• Total 25 UDC and 40 NSA members are bazaar committee & school managing , Up standing committee member.
• Total 5 poor students support for admission to Jubo Unnayan computer training & 20 fisheries training.
• 30 UDC members start saving activities for self sufficient after received UDC management training,
• 625 UDC/NSA got VGF Card.
• 42 UDC member got VGD (Vulnerable Group Development scheme )
• 5 UDC member include Ektai Bari Ekti Khamar Project.
• 40 UDC members have got agricultural support
• 15 UDC got Widow allowance
• 7 Allowance for freedom fighter
• Pregnancy allowance 3 person
• 3 person Lactating mother allowance
• 5 UDC Elderly allowance
• 13 UDC member got test relief (taka, tin, goat & cow)
• 25 UDC member got blanket from different organization
Challenges How to overcome
It was challenge to get time from the UP,UDC,NSA and UDC members for meeting. It was solved through different discussions, interactions and making them understand about the importance of the meeting.
15. Lesson Learnt:
• We have become capable to make them understand about the importance of meeting and they participated cordially. If the participants are made realised they can cooperate.
• If the stakeholders are made self-realized, they can contribute and participate in the programs.
• If the beneficiaries are made self-realized they can reduce risks by their own initiatives
• It needs more pre-work for implementing this kind of project activities.
• It is difficult to work such remote and hardship areas.
• Well capable UDC and UP members, they are well acquainted with the government offices and available services, they are communicating with those offices to get different services and they are well aware about budget preparation and expenditures.
• Integration and cooperation among them and reduced misunderstanding among the UP persons and community people.
• Increased coordination among mass people and increased reciprocal cooperation.
• Increased gender relations among the people and leading happy family life.
• Increase interest of different stakeholders including government personnel’s due to SDS organized public hearing programme.
• Increase involvement of government personnel’s in the programme
• Cooperation with government officials makes smooth implementation of the program.
Increased understanding, coordination, cooperation, accountability, transparency and reportability and ensured service delivery to the community people. Producers are getting appropriate price.